[asterisk-dev] What is test-law?

Alexander Traud pabstraud at compuserve.com
Mon Nov 30 03:18:28 CST 2020

In 2009, Asterisk 1.8 introduced a media format called "G.711 test-law" [1]. Furthermore, in chan_sip, default_format_capabilities mentioned testlaw. Five years later, Asterisk 13 removed testlaw from there [2]. However, it remained in general.

For me, it looks like not just dead code but a merge mistake back in the year 2009. It looks like a format which was used to white-box test the change back then. The old "Review Board" is no longer online, so I cannot check any possible comments there.

Any idea? I feel it is worth removal because it can create chaos [3].

[1] <https://github.com/asterisk/asterisk/commit/d8e0c584372c51b585a52efbe2375861bc09bdcf#diff-5fda6a239e770b39ac96e677778e231fb79dc190b473c9724d21997ae9fca3bf>
[2] <https://github.com/asterisk/asterisk/commit/a2c912e9972c91973ea66902d217746133f96026#diff-b46867aafe8df97c4c3e15a223f26dde97354b72e649bf6cb73215ac657364a2>
[3] <https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-29185>