[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 16.9.0-rc1 Now Available - unusable with Deutsche Telekom

Michael Maier m1278468 at mailbox.org
Fri Mar 6 23:02:21 CST 2020

Hello!

On 05.03.20 at 19:08 Asterisk Development Team wrote:
>  * ASTERISK-28746 - res_pjsip_outbound_registration keeps
>       retrying the first entry in a SRV record set
>       (Reported by
>       George Joseph)

I just tested the new version 16.9.0.rc1 and promptly got an error with
this patch. With Deutsche Telekom, you always get a SRV record set. On
the other hand, you mostly have to register 3 numbers - each must be
registered on its own - to the same destination. Therefore, on startup,
there are 3 registers done to the same destination. Often, one of the
three numbers fails to register on the first attempt and therefore, it
is done twice.

With this patch, you're now using the second of usually 3 SRV entries
and registration is done successfully (which would have worked too, if
you would have used the first entry again, because it's just a very
temporary problem) - but all succeeding calls (outgoing INVITEs) are now
rejected (403 Forbidden), because they are going to the first entry of
the SRV record set - which fails on Deutsche Telekom, because they await
all subsequent actions to be done at the same server as the registration
was done.

Therefore, this patch is a no go for all users of Deutsche Telekom or
any other provider relying on all actions to be done to always the same
destination IP.

Therefore, please make this new feature switchable or add another
feature, which takes care to always use the same destination IP as
initially used for the registration. You have to take care, too, that
there is more than one number at the same time - but all of them using
the same destination SRV hostname, but they could have different IP
addresses - but each number must use its own IP which was initially used
for the register.

For convenience, I attached the reverse patch to remove the offending
patch which makes asterisk mainly unusable for users of Deutsche Telekom.

Thanks
Michael