[asterisk-dev] Advanced Codec Negotiation: Direct Media

Michael Maier m1278468 at mailbox.org
Tue Jun 23 22:20:05 CDT 2020

Hi George,

On 23.06.20 at 17:55 George Joseph wrote:
> What role should ACN play in Direct Media??
> How do you think codec negotiation should work in this case?
> I'm not going to offer suggestions or explanations until I hear opinions
> from you guys. :)

Direct media means: RTP flows directly from peer to peer without asterisk being involved besides codec negotiation. This means, asterisk doesn't / can't do any transcoding.

In terms of use cases - it's all the same: It's asterisk's job to enforce allowed codecs to ensure that lines aren't overloaded to guarantee the quality of a voice call.

Therefore the only job of asterisk is to enforce the allowed codecs on both sides. If there isn't any match between two sides (or maybe already on the incoming side) -> asterisk has
to drop the call. If there are matches, asterisk can proceed. If a phone isn't happy with the offer, it will drop the call. That's what I would expect. But that's most probably
nothing new ...

Thanks
Michael