[asterisk-dev] Advanced Codec Negotiation: Asymmetric Codecs

Joshua Elson joshelson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:56:42 CDT 2020

So I am the one responsible for this situation, if I recall the discussion
a few years back. We actually have had to support several phones - Yealink
being the most distinctly memorable - that support asymmetric codecs on a
single call leg, and from our reading, it's legal in the RFC. In some very
high throughput cases, it was preferable to reduce overall transcoding use
in our infrastructure when you did the math on having a few thousand of
these phones in the same situation.

That being said, it's conceivable we could live without that option now,
and some phone vendors do still not properly implement the RFC standard
around this, but we do still run in production with asymmetric codecs on a
single call leg for a slight majority of our devices.

Josh