[asterisk-dev] Dialplan pre-bridge handlers

Nikša Baldun it at voxdiversa.hr
Fri Jul 17 04:04:12 CDT 2020

Hello,

I have been using Asterisk for years, and the one thing that I believe
is sorely missing, but I can't find any mention of it on the Internet,
and that is pushable pre-bridge handlers. In current setup, there are
following limitations:

1. Pre-bridge handler can only be attached to the B-leg channel, not the
A-leg channel.

2. The handler will only be executed before a bridge resulting from Dial
application, but a channel can be bridged multiple times during its
lifetime (by SIP attended transfer, for example).

So, for example, if I want to turn call recording on/off depending on
who the channel is bridged to, there is no way to do that via dialplan
(that I know of).

There is a possibility to attach hangup handlers to any channel by using
CHANNEL(hangup_handler_push), but no similar feature for pre-bridge
handlers, which are much more important, IMO. So, has there been any
discussion among developers about this topic?

Best regards.