[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 18 Planning: Codec Negotiation

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Thu Jan 30 16:20:08 CST 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Michael Maier <m1278468 at mailbox.org> wrote:

> >> 2. outgoing_sdp_send_prefs
> >>    The list can be created on base of the callees
> >>    allow line and list 1 (option local ...).
> >>
> >>    Or:
> >>
> >>    The list can be created on base of list 1
> >>    (option remote ...) and the callees allow line.
> >>
> >>    Both lists may have a different codec order or
> >>    different codecs (if *_single is provided).
> >>
> >>    Codecs not given in the callees allow line or
> >>    list 1 are dropped (*_limit).
> >>

> > This is mostly correct, but for clarification selecting the "remote" or
> > "local" value will always only contain those codecs from the endpoint
> > configuration allow line. Or another way to say it is the resulting list
> is
> > the intersection of the two lists (list 1 and allow=) plus the codecs in
> > the allow line that are not in list 1. The order will change depending on
> > which value is used.
> >
> > This means that if list 1 contains a codec not found in the endpoints
> > allow= line then that codec will not be included in the resulting list.
> For
> > example;
> >
> > list 1 = opus,ulaw,alaw
> > allow= ulaw, alaw, g722
> >
> > Then if "remote" or "local" is chosen then the resulting list will never
> > have opus in it.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand at the moment, how it is possible to *not*
> choose "remote" or "local". According to your documentation, "remote" is
> the default if you don't provide any option to outgoing_sdp_send_prefs.
> Maybe I missunderstood some more ... .

No worries it's my bad. I can see how what I wrote was ambiguous. What I
meant was "if *either* remote *or* local is chosen". As in it doesn't
matter which option value you choose. Either one would result (in this
example) in opus not being included in list 2.

--
Kevin Harwell
Senior Software Developer