[asterisk-dev] ./bootstrap: Why not done by core members?

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Wed Apr 15 12:33:37 CDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:14 PM Alexander Traud <pabstraud at compuserve.com>
wrote:

> When a contributor changes the file
>    configure.ac, or
>    menuselect/configure.ac, or
>    third-party/pjproject/configure.m4, or
>    third-party/jansson/configure.m4,
> the Asterisk Team forced the contributor to execute "./bootstrap.sh" via
> code review.

To elaborate on why this is done - it's because in the beginning it made
sense to include this as part of the review and process of contributing a
configure change. With the configure script rarely receiving changes it
hasn't been a problem. For cases where it has been then people have stepped
in and helped out people with the changes.

> This created hotspots in the file "./configure" because different variants
> of the creation scripts exist on various platforms. For years, this was
> just [1] and [2].
>
> Since about two years, PKG_CHECK_MODULES has a different white space and a
> different log message. The whole drama can be seen in commit <
> https://github.com/asterisk/asterisk/commit/b7fbb9c41f3c1a071c594c68ff0dcc763291d451>
> normally a change of just two lines.
>
> Those hotspots spread, since the year 2018, "menuselect/configure" is
> touched as well, although its ".ac" file did not change: <
> https://github.com/asterisk/asterisk/commits/master/menuselect/configure>
>
> I tested how much time it costs to avoid those hotspots and created a
> clean change: 45 minutes. If there are merge-conflicts, add again 45
> minutes for each conflict. So, that is not feasible.
>
> [1] 2014 Jul, first commit 4c21f69: #define LARGE_OFF_T (countless)
> [2] 2016 Jun, first commit 2cad58c: runstatedir (15 times)

I'm not sure exactly what you are proposing or what the core of the issue
is. I understand that on different platforms and systems the resulting
configure can differ, and even amongst regular contributors this can be the
case. Is your issue that this makes cherry picking from the Gerrit
interface difficult since you have to do it manually?

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead