[asterisk-dev] Memory leak since Asterisk 16.5.x / pjsip

Michael Maier m1278468 at mailbox.org
Sun Sep 15 00:21:17 CDT 2019

Hello!

Since Asterisk 16.5.x (without any additional patch at all), I' m seeing continuously rising memory consumption each hour even if there where no calls at all. It's about
792 kbytes (RSS) each hour (3 SIPS / TLS 1.2 trunks, 10 min ReRegistration, 240 s OPTIONS, 1 SIPS trunk, 60 s ReRegistration, 2 SIP extensions)

Therefore I tested different scenarios:

Asterisk 16.4.1 -> no memory leak
Asterisk 16.5.1 -> memory leak

Asterisk 16.4.1 with pjsip 4.9 -> memory leak
Asterisk 16.5.1 with pjsip 4.8 -> no memory leak

Therefore, I can say, that there is a problem related to pjsip 4.9 (maybe it's a pjsip problem itself or Asterisk should have been changed to adopt new behavior of pjsip 4.9).

Anyway: Asterisk is quite unusable since 16.5.x. 2 times I already encountered the OOM killer reaping an asterisk 16.5.x process consuming far too much memory.

BTW: I'm not really happy with the fact, that an existing LTS / stable version gets a new pjsip version "on the fly". From my point of view, this should have been done
during a normal development cycle and not during a stable phase.

Thanks
Michael