[asterisk-dev] fastAGI vs CURL

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Mar 25 10:06:20 CDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, at 10:53 AM, marek cervenka wrote:
> hi,
>
> i read
>
> https://www.freepbx.org/performance-improvements-in-freepbx/
>
> I was not surprised by results because its long know fact about AGI slowness
>
> Which suprise me was the fact that recomendation was to switch to
> fastAGI and not to CURL application
>
>  From developer point of view is a lot easier develop(and TEST)
> "standard" REST API service than develop AGI server
>
> is fastAGI performace better(by level) than CURL ?

If coming from AGI then FastAGI can be an easy path, as it's not a huge amount of work to switch. I think ultimately though they are both different ways of doing the same thing. In the case of CURL you leverage dialplan more, since CURL is used to retrieve information which can then influence and control what the dialplan does.

As for performance I don't have any data but I think it would ultimately depend on what exactly is being done. If you can do a single request to get the data, then CURL may be better. If you need to do more then FastAGI may be better.

It really does depend on what exactly needs to be done as to what is best.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Senior Software Developer