[asterisk-dev] Adding ARI subscription type for module's notification event

Sungtae Kim pchero21 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:23:08 CST 2019

Hi, Asterisk team,

I'm thinking about adding the new feature for the Asterisk.
It's "Adding Resource item for subscription".

Purpose:
Currently, the ARI subscription supports 3 types of subscriptions.
Channels, Bridges, Endpoints.
It's a good enough to see and check to what/how/where the channels is going.

But using the ARI, it's not an easy to check the resource(module)s.
Simply, the ARI does not support module's notification message sending
and receiving.

I would like to add the 1 more subscription type which is "Resources".
This feature is designed for sending/receiving the module's notification
messages.

AS-IS

asterisk*CLI> ari show app pchero_voip
Name: pchero_voip
   Debug: No
   Subscription Model: Global Resource Subscription
   Subscriptions: 3
     Channels:
       __AST_CHANNEL_ALL_TOPIC (1)
     Bridges:
       __AST_BRIDGE_ALL_TOPIC (1)
     Endpoints:
       __AST_ENDPOINT_ALL_TOPIC (1)

TO-BE

asterisk*CLI> ari show app pchero_voip
Name: pchero_voip
   Debug: No
   Subscription Model: Global Resource Subscription
   Subscriptions: 4
     Channels:
       __AST_CHANNEL_ALL_TOPIC (1)
     Bridges:
       __AST_BRIDGE_ALL_TOPIC (1)
     Endpoints:
       __AST_ENDPOINT_ALL_TOPIC (1)
     Resources:
       __AST_RESOURCE_ALL_TOPIC (1)

Resources:
Resources items would be the name of each modules. By subscribing the
modules, it will receive the each modules's event/notification ARI messages.

For example, if the ARI application subscribing the app_queue resource,
the application will be received below ARI events.
QueueCallerJoin, QueueCallerAbandon, ...

So, is this feature would be worth for the Asterisk?

I've some feedback regarding this, there was some talk related with this
issue before

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2018-December/077128.html

But couldn't find it further and I have another idea about that.

So, that's why I'm sending this mail.

If it's not a bad idea, I would like to start it.

Thank you, and happy new year. :)

Kind regards,
Sungtae