[asterisk-dev] Adding new ARI for application execute

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Apr 3 17:06:59 CDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM Kevin Harwell <kharwell at digium.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 4:01 PM Sungtae Kim <pchero21 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, here's some API draft.
>>
>> I will introduce 2 new ARI requests and 1 ARI event.
>

> ARI is meant to be an alternative to diaplan applications, and not act as a layer on top of them. Which I feel is the direction this idea is heading towards. For instance, ARI is not meant to overlay app_queue, but allow a developer to create their own queue app that interfaces with Asterisk through ARI. I feel like doing things as proposed violates the underlying design and goal of ARI. However, see my other response. Maybe this can be done without changes to the ARI definitions and in a way that does not undermine the design of ARI.

That's kind of how I feel about it as well.  It's my understanding
ARI's original intention was to provide a REST API that allows you to
build detailed, channel centric Asterisk applications (such as the
app_queue replacement) without having to resort to writing C code.  A
lot of what Sung is trying to do sounds like it would more
appropriately fit as AMI type actions instead, IMHO.

All that being said, I think sometimes we limit the potential of ideas
based on solely preconceived notions.  It's possible that the original
intentions of ARI could be transcended in appropriate ways.  On the
other hand, and as mentioned by Josh and others, there is potential
danger in permitting arbitrary dialplan application execution that
could come back and haunt us.  If you were to ask me my honest
opinion, I feel a lot of what Sung wants to do lies outside of ARI's
original design.

Just my .02.

Matthew Fredrickson

>> <snip>
>

> --
> Kevin Harwell
> Digium - A Sangoma Company | Senior Software Developer
> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - US
> Check us out at: https://digium.com & https://asterisk.org
> --

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Asterisk Project Lead