[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 16 Parking Lot Full behavior.

Jonathan Rose jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com
Wed Nov 28 13:05:46 CST 2018

That's a bit of a flawed approach. The highest parking space can be
occupied while other spots are open. Parked calls don't get shuffled to
lower spots as lower numbered parking spots are freed up. Plus there are
multiple modes for selecting the parking space for a call. That would be a
safer method to use for findslot=first since you'd only hit false negatives
if the parking lot was filling up for at least a little while, but if
findslot=next then you could any number of calls in the parking lot when
that space has a user in it.

I checked through the park_and_announce application for differences in how
it would handle a transfer and didn't really see anything that should cause
these kinds of differences. If parking fails it looks like it'll move on in
the dialplan in the same fashion as the regular park application. So I
don't really think that's the culprit here.

Consider running us through an example of it happening with verbosity set
to 3 so that we can get running dialplan output.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM John Kiniston <johnkiniston at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you are using parking hints you can query the state of the hint and see
> if the highest numbered spot is available.
>
> ExecIf($["${EXTENSION_STATE(709 at parkedcalls)}" =
> "INUSE]?Playback(lot-full))
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM Steve Sether <ssether at usinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> >*ParkAndAnnounce
>> *
>> > I actually missed this detail from the original email. Yeah,
>> > ParkAndAnnounce might also behave a lot differently since it's going to
>> > involve the origination of channels. Honestly instead of relying on that
>> > you could simply have some script listen to manager for ParkedCall events
>> > and have that make the announcements for you. Might be better than relying
>> > on a separate and generally less battle tested approach to parking.
>>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> We're a PBX service provider that's multi-homed, so on Asterisk 11 we already have a custom solution that does mapping between virtual parking lots and the real parking lot.  It resembles a virtual memory manager in many ways. With the new parking lot in Asterisk 13+ supporting templates and creating a parking lot on-the-fly, I wanted to try to eliminate this complexity since it would reduce our complexity quite a bit.  So I suppose we could go back to that, but I'd rather not if possible.
>>
>> For similar reasons, we can't stop supporting the Park feature of the Polycomm phones either since our customers rely on it.
>>
>> It doesn't sound like I'm doing anything wrong, or there's any easy way around this other than scripting a solution to just see if the lot is full before performing a park.
>>
>> Is there anyone from Digium that can respond to this?  Dropping the call just doesn't seem like the "right thing" for ParkAndAnnounce to do.  Can this be fixed in some way?  I could see simply just playing a message to the parkee when the call is full, and using whatever the timeout behavior is set to.  Alternatively if Asterisk simply returned the call to timeout behavior, and possibly set a channel variable like to indicate the lot is full, we could then play the message or do whatever was appropriate.
>>
>> Even adding a dialplan command to query the number of free spaces in a lot would be helpful (though still suffer from race conditions mentioned above).
>>
>> I don't think we'd want to try to fix this ourselves with a patch.  We're not really C programmers, and haven't any aspirations to go down that road.
>>
>> --
>> -- Bandwidth and Colocation Provided by http://www.api-digital.com
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.api-2Ddigital.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=q3cDpHe1hF8lXU5EFjNM_A&r=50uagQBTpQAKCx3KjAwJcMd6ygCPToAyDAxH5npANtf7nLmyZ65ofHGUgyJr9BW8&m=R2zQ8gNx6TeXcT3kRlUNLMQ0pmaBYjLUB8VpRDUjAlE&s=oWE4f3G4YxYmrvMwXRVdBTes7isH8cDNTqgVWA6EFTE&e=>
>> --

> [...]

*Jonathan R. Rose*Senior Systems Engineer

Emergency CallWorks
Motorola Solutions

email: jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com