[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 16 Parking Lot Full behavior.

Jonathan Rose jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com
Mon Nov 26 18:13:26 CST 2018

This might work better in general if you use DTMF feature transfers to park
instead of trying to use an on-phone transfer button to send the call to a
park extension. Asterisk has internal logic to check an extension that you
send a parked call to and will rely on res_parking functionality to
actually perform the park and terminate the call if it's successful.
Different SIP devices handle transfers in different ways and it can it can
be hard to know how any of them will behave with certainty if you are
relying on their features for doing your parking.

That said, I tried this using some Polycoms a few minutes ago to confirm
how it behaves when using a typical SIP refer transfer and for me at least
the call remained live after performing the transfer. The Polycom itself
did have the original call in a held state, but that's a consequence of how
the Polycom handles the call while performing a blind transfer.  If the
parked calls fails, Asterisk should respond to the invite used for the
transfer with a SIP BYE prior to sending a 200 OK unless you have something
in your dialplan set up to answer the call ahead of that point. If a
Polycom receives a BYE before connecting while attempting a blind transfer,
it shouldn't disconnect from the original call. But I'm not sure what is in
your configuration or the exact method you are using to transfer so it's
hard to really nail anything down.

It's not really the kind of work I'm doing these days, but I'll provide
advice if I can. Best of luck to you.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 4:32 PM Steve Sether <ssether at usinternet.com> wrote:

> I'm testing the behavior of when the parking lot is full.  I came across
> this post from Asterisk 12 beta, 5 years ago that describes the behavior
> I'm seeing.
>
> I call ParkAndAnnounce, and when the lot is full  Asterisk drops the call,
> and sends a BYE to the caller.  This just doesn't work for us.
>
> Is there any way to get around this problem?  Ideally what I'd like to
> happen is to retain the call, and defer to a context to deal with that
> situation.  Alternatively, is there a decent way to determine if a lot is
> full?  This isn't an ideal case, since you'd then have to deal with race
> conditions, but it's better than simply dropping the call when the lot is
> full.
>

> The original discussion is here:
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2013-November/063565.html
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.digium.com_pipermail_asterisk-2Ddev_2013-2DNovember_063565.html&d=DwMDaQ&c=q3cDpHe1hF8lXU5EFjNM_A&r=50uagQBTpQAKCx3KjAwJcMd6ygCPToAyDAxH5npANtf7nLmyZ65ofHGUgyJr9BW8&m=-uu3x_H4k0MES1wWNCI4ttxRdu3OeJ64Rsl0xxS0R6E&s=3BEHrW_8DZfxpAHt2Nr5LMIw6Odr6t7mD908OLBoX-c&e=>
>

> For context, this is the message:
>

> >  >* Out of morbid curiosity, could you test the same type of transfer
> *>* against Asterisk 12's parking system?
> *>  >* Also, is this a blind or attended transfer? As in, does the person
> *>* transferring the call hear the parking failed message, and does that
> *>* person then get hung up on, or is it the transferee the one that
> *>* actually attempted parking and failed?
> *>  >* --
> *>* Jonathan R. Rose
> *>* Digium, Inc. | Software Engineer
> *>* 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - US
> *>* direct +1 256 428 6139
> *>
>
> Jonathan,
>
> I was able to test this in Asterisk 12.0.0-beta1.
>
> Parking works fine, but when parking lot is full, Asterisk sends SIP BYE to both parker and parkee (transferer, transferee) and the call is hung up. Compared to 18.23, Asterisk is left in a stable state though (in 1.8.23, I guess because the parking fails after the channels are masqueraded, Asterisk and phones turn unstable)
>
> Test scenario:
> 123 called 125. 125 tried to park 123. Parking failed (parking lot is full). Asterisk sent both phones SIP BYE, call is hung up.
>

> --
> -- Bandwidth and Colocation Provided by
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.api-2Ddigital.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=q3cDpHe1hF8lXU5EFjNM_A&r=50uagQBTpQAKCx3KjAwJcMd6ygCPToAyDAxH5npANtf7nLmyZ65ofHGUgyJr9BW8&m=-uu3x_H4k0MES1wWNCI4ttxRdu3OeJ64Rsl0xxS0R6E&s=1QHEstuYPqNJZFqPhmLE1y8lB8IHxSTQkopS5hIcp5s&e=
> --
>
> Astricon is coming up October 9-11!  Signup is available at:
> [...]

*Jonathan R. Rose*Senior Systems Engineer

Emergency CallWorks
Motorola Solutions

email: jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com