[asterisk-dev] Weirdness-- intermittent loss of recordings w/ 13.5.0

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Sat Mar 24 10:44:55 CDT 2018

More news--

I demonstrated that this problem still exists in 13.19.0, although we are
still
probing/debugging this problem with 13.5.0; if we find a solution, we hope
it will apply to all
versions of 13, as well as those more recent releases also.

As I described in a recent letter to asterisk-dev, we have a separate
daemon that
opens an AMI connection to asterisk. When it spots both channels are joined
to a bridge,
it issues a StartMonitor AMI action, which invokes res_monitor on Asterisk.
It kinda looked
like those times when the AMI action arrived in less than a millisecond
were more successful
than those which came slightly later. To test this theory, I added a
millisecond wait to the
issuance of the StartMonitor, and roughly doubled the probablility of an
empty recording file.
I upped it to 2 msec, and the probability got even higher.

The failed recordings are done with the bridge technology of native_rtp;
the successful ones
switch from native_rtp to simple_bridge. There appears to be a vanishing
opportunity to
switch the bridge tech, after which the call to __ast_monitor_start is
ineffective. It would appear that
the native_rtp tech doesn't honor the monitor structure attached to the
channel.

murf

--

Steve Murphy