[asterisk-dev] Which enviroments are supported, really?

Corey Farrell git at cfware.com
Sun Jan 21 12:20:50 CST 2018

The only wiki page I found on non-Linux is [1].  Probably the clearest
statement is in the README.md [2].  I think we should probably add a
more negative spin to the comments about Other platforms, at minimum
state that they are not actively tested and may break at any time.

As for jenkins2.asterisk.org, only Linux is tested.  The active build
agents are:

  * CentOS 7 (x86 and x86_64)
  * Fedora 25 (x86_64)
  * Ubuntu 16 (x86_64)

Ubuntu 14 (x86_64 and x86) is listed in CI but they have been offline
for a while so they aren't currently tested automatically.  I've
recently made a change which caused CentOS 6 to stop building, I got a
report as soon as the next RC was released.  I'm confused by your
statement that things don't work in Fedora unless you're trying to
compile with LLVM or clang (ASTERISK-26205).  All active versions of
Fedora should work, I'm guessing many inactive (end of life) versions of
Fedora will also work.  For OSX I've made some changes recently to get
compile working, never went beyond that.  My goal was simply to be able
to run 'make && git review' from OSX, I've never attempted to run the
binaries.

GNU bash is required by some scripts (they have #!/bin/bash). Any
scripts that have '#!/bin/sh' should not use bash only features but I'm
not sure if this is ever tested.  I'm not aware of any continuous
testing done with compilers other than GCC.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+on+%28Open%29Solaris
[2] https://github.com/asterisk/asterisk/#supported-operating-systems