[asterisk-dev] AstDB mySQL implementation

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Sep 25 16:45:15 CDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been scaling out FreePBX horizontally with Kamailio and custom
> FreePBX modules mainly to handle call center outbound dialing (around 20k
> calls per day). One of the issues I ran into was FreePBX uses the AstDB
> extensively and will write changes to it from the dialplan or the FreePBX
> user control panel.
>
> To overcome this I either needed to scrap FreePBX and build a new GUI
> using Asterisk realtime, heavily modify FreePBX (not an option), or rewrite
> AstDB to use a database like mySQL. I choose the last option and have had
> the code in production for just over a month. I'm backing it with a two
> node MariaDB Galera cluster with HAProxy providing failover for the client
> DB connections.
>
> I realize that SQLite was chosen for AstDB for performance reasons.
> However mySQL seems to perform just fine in the above scenario. Right now I
> have a db.c file that just has the mySQL code. Does anybody else have any
> interest in using mySQL for the AstDB backend? I'm debating if it would
> make sense to have the option to select your AstDB backend.

Hey Ryan,

First off, thanks for letting us know about the fun project you embarked
upon.  I think Josh already answered some of your questions, but with
regards to the work you did - I believe that in the past there have been
others who have wanted an ODBC AstDB driver as well.  If your code can be
made configurable, it may be a good contribution.

Anyways, hope you are doing well, and perhaps we'll see your code up on
gerrit at some time in the future. :-)

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager