[asterisk-dev] AstDB mySQL implementation

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 12:12:03 CDT 2017

I've been scaling out FreePBX horizontally with Kamailio and custom FreePBX
modules mainly to handle call center outbound dialing (around 20k calls per
day). One of the issues I ran into was FreePBX uses the AstDB extensively
and will write changes to it from the dialplan or the FreePBX user control
panel.

To overcome this I either needed to scrap FreePBX and build a new GUI using
Asterisk realtime, heavily modify FreePBX (not an option), or rewrite AstDB
to use a database like mySQL. I choose the last option and have had the
code in production for just over a month. I'm backing it with a two node
MariaDB Galera cluster with HAProxy providing failover for the client DB
connections.

I realize that SQLite was chosen for AstDB for performance reasons. However
mySQL seems to perform just fine in the above scenario. Right now I have a
db.c file that just has the mySQL code. Does anybody else have any interest
in using mySQL for the AstDB backend? I'm debating if it would make sense
to have the option to select your AstDB backend.

Ryan