[asterisk-dev] One sip stack to rule them all....

Daniel Journo dan at keshercommunications.com
Sun Oct 8 10:07:25 CDT 2017

Having run pjsip for about a year now in production, I can say that the current implementation isn’t very reliable for scaling.
Due to the issues I describe below, I have to run multiple asterisk boxes with around 100 endpoints per box max.
Even at that leve, Asterisk on all boxes randomly stop responding to sip packets for up to 30 seconds.
It only happens 2 to 3 times a week which makes debugging or running core dumps hard to catch.
It does however still send out OPTIONS so it’s not totally dead during that time. The CLI still works as normal too.
I had a discussion with George about this, but we never found a solution due to the difficulty in capturing a core dump of the issue.

Another problem is Qualify. When doing PJSIP RELOAD, Asterisk stops dealing with inbound packets for about 60 seconds (while it qualifies everything again?).

Asterisk start up time is also greatly increased by qualify in PJSIP.

My short term plan is to switch back to Chansip until the issues are resolved. A discussion relating to depreciating chansip is a little worrying for me at this time.

Here are some issues related to this that I’ve been monitoring. I have tried to dive into the code, but it’s too steeper learning curve for me to work out how things are being done.

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-27247
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-26806
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-26599
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-26194