[asterisk-dev] Timers in pjsip

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Tue May 2 17:07:07 CDT 2017

Hello--

As a side note, I appreciate the information that was shared in my
last set of messages. We are still in process on those issues, and
when the time comes, I will share what I learn.

But, I have a new pjsip issue that has been perplexing me. We have
a trunk provider who wants us to calm down, when we don't get an
immediate response on registration to them. I have implemented a
simple fix on chan_sip, that basically removes the 4 second limitation
on non-answered REGISTER attempts.

I notice that pjsip in asterisk seems to follow the same pattern of
retries:
first, a half-second wait, then a retry,  then a full second wait, then
a retry, then a 2 second wait, and several 4-second waits until half a
minute or so,
and after 60 seconds, (61 seconds?) the cycle starts over.

I have spent hours looking for this algorithm first in the asterisk code,
then in pjproject.
The docs for pjproject say:

(section 8.1.2: Timers and Retransmissions)

​    "Application can change the interval value of timers only on a global
basis
     (perhaps even only during compilation)."

​Any hints as to where this code is located?

murf

--

Steve Murphy

✉  murf at parsetree dot com