[asterisk-dev] OPUS horrible quality with packet loss

Yury Tsaregorodtsev aero.1080 at icloud.com
Fri Mar 31 18:54:49 CDT 2017

Examples of OPUS with 30% of LOSS with FEC on http://opus-codec.org/examples/ <http://opus-codec.org/examples/>
Sounds too perfect. Why I can't achieve even similar quality on asterisk with built codec by digium?
To simulate 30% packet loss I use:
# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 100ms loss 30%
But even with 15-20% of loss it's almost impossible to talk.
Tried different bitrates, result is always same.
If I do PESQ predicted MOS of degraded audio (recorded with packet loss) in compare to original: 1.025
Horrible results, horrible sound.

Anyone get better experience using opus with huge packet losses ?

Yury