[asterisk-dev] AMI/ARI versioning

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Thu Mar 30 17:43:26 CDT 2017

Greetings,

(I believe this topic has been brought up before, but I was unable to
locate the thread)

In theory, AMI/ARI versions follow the semantic versioning pattern [1]. The
major version number of each started at 1 (1.0.0) and is supposedly bumped
when a new major version of the API is released.

However, in practice the API's major version is usually bumped when a new
major version of Asterisk is released and not changed otherwise. This is
done in order to alleviate API maintenance burdens, and the weird situation
one could get into where an older version of Asterisk specifies a higher
AMI/ARI version number than a newer version of Asterisk. For instance,
because what could be a breaking API change in Asterisk 13 (version bumped)
may not be in Asterisk 14 (version not bumped). So in reality Asterisk
AMI/ARI API's exhibit the following pattern:

[asterisk-branch-number].[minor].[patch]

With the exception that currently the major version number is not actually
the Asterisk branch number. In order to bring that more into alignment it
has been proposed to do just that. Make the major number the same as the
associated Asterisk branch number. So AMI/ARI API version numbers would
then start with 13.x.x for Asterisk 13 and 14.x.x for Asterisk 14.

Thoughts and opinions?

[1] http://semver.org/
--

Kevin Harwell