[asterisk-dev] Adding an audio format in Asterisk

Jean Aunis jean.aunis at prescom.fr
Fri Mar 24 07:43:43 CDT 2017

Hello,

I need to add support for a new audio format in Asterisk. It will be
actually a very limited support : I just need to take the audio from one
side and transmit it to the other side. No decoding / transcoding will
be involved. One side will be a DAHDI endpoint, the other one a SIP
endpoint.

Let's put aside for the moment the modifications which may have to be
done on the channels drivers to handle the codec negotiation. If I focus
on Asterisk's core and RTP handling, it seems I could achieve this
simply by registering a new format in codec_builtin.c. Two questions then :

- firstly, is this really the only thing to do, or am I missing something ?

- secondly, is there a more "pluggable" way to do this ? Maybe with a
shared object which would be loaded on startup ?

Best regards

Jean Aunis