[asterisk-dev] Dynamic Payloads

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Mon Mar 20 11:33:07 CDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 4:25 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> Given Alexander's note, clearly something along those lines must be
> done.
>
> But instead of hardcoding the current mapping in the dynamic option's c
> code, I'd put it in a config file.
>
> Ie, the config file would specify static mappings for otherwise dynamic
> codecs.  It should provide commented out examples which match the static
> numbers used by pre-dynamic versions of asterisk to show how to set
> them.
>
> This would allow one to only force static mappings when one has a peer
> which requires them.

Hi James,

This idea was discussed a bit in #asterisk-dev the other day too. I think
adding this as a configurable option would be beneficial for the reason you
laid out. However, due to the nature of the changes required to make that
work we're going to move forward with just using the current payload values
assigned by Asterisk as defaults. This should cover the majority of user
cases with less complexity.

--

Kevin Harwell
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer