[asterisk-dev] Configuring multistream in chan_pjsip

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Jun 5 14:31:06 CDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017, at 04:21 PM, Mark Michelson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> For those of you following along at home, I recently published review
> https://gerrit.asterisk.org/#/c/5760/ , which is step one towards making
> chan_pjsip multistream, i.e. supporting more than one stream of a given
> media type. This initial review does not actually introduce multistream
> support so much as it just makes use of multistream structures under the
> hood to ease the transition.
>
> Continuing on, one of the next steps we need to determine is how a user
> of chan_pjsip should configure a channel that supports multiple streams
> of a particular type.
>
> To refresh everyone on how things currently work in pjsip.conf, you set
> an "allow" option in order to determine what codecs a particular
> endpoint supports.
>
> [Alice]
> type = endpoint
> allow = ulaw,opus,h264

<snip>

> I propose the following configuration options to move forward.
>
> offered_audio_streams = 1
> offered_video_streams = 2

<snip>

My only question is why, in a scenario where we don't have a hint, would
we want to make the number of offered streams configurable by the user?
Ultimately it's up to the application that is handling the channel to
decide what it wants and that is decided in the moment, not ahead of
time based on configuration.

I think maximum and minimum are useful for enforcing some constraints
though.

--
Joshua Colp