[asterisk-dev] RTP packet throttling

b17 c0de b17c0de at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 08:14:40 CST 2017

Hi Asterisk Community,
Is it possible to have Asterisk trottle outgoing RTP packets when
received to-be-forwarded samples are from packets with a larger ptime?
I am using Asterisk as SIP proxy between two devices. When the sending
device uses a ptime larger than the receiving device, Asterisk
forwards the samples in bursts soon after a packet is received.

For example, consider the following setup:

[Device A] == ptime=300ms ==> [Asterisk] == ptime=20ms ==> [Device B]

As soon as Asterisk receives a packet (300ms) from Device A it
transcodes 300ms worth of samples and sends 15 Packets (20 ms) to
Device B. This is a problem when Device B has a small buffer. My
testing shows that typical SIP phones cannot handle this case.

What is the best solution to this problem? Is there a way to enable
clocked/throttled RTP packet transmission? If this is currently not
possible, can someone point me in the right direction as to where I
need to patch Asterisk to get this to work? I am willing to upstream
any changes I make to support this.

I am currently using Asterisk 12.3.

Best Regards,
Kal