[asterisk-dev] tags on the main branches [was: Re: Minor Release Branches]

George Joseph gjoseph at digium.com
Tue Dec 26 07:38:07 CST 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Corey Farrell <git at cfware.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> George asked that I post some scenarios where this would be useful.
>>> 1. You are about to create updated asterisk package and want to quickly
>>> scan the changes to 13 since latest 13.x.0 release to see if anything is a
>>> 'must patch' for your deployments.  You can use 'tig' to review changes for
>>> critical fixes until you reach the tag '13.x.0-rc1' (which you can see in
>>> the list because the tag was merged).
>>>

>> I didn't even know about tig.  There's always something to learn about
>> the git ecosystem. :)
>>

>>> I know the end result can be accomplished by other means, but not as
>>> easily.
>>>
>>> 2. You've created an automated test to try finding a performance
>>> regression.  The test runs asterisk under a profiler and stores results.
>>> Each revision you test needs a new file to store results - 'git describe'
>>> would provide an excellent filename that is unique per revision.
>>>
>>> One thing I'm not sure about is if we should only merge rc1 tags or if
>>> we should merge all new release tags.  At first all release tags seem
>>> reasonable, but the order of tags other than rc1 would be off.  rc1 is
>>> special because it would be merged back to mainline before anything else.
>>> Even 13.x.0 does not get cut until after other commits are merged to 13, so
>>> if we merged 13.19.0 to 13, the commits made since 13.19.0-rc1 would appear
>>> out of order (before 13.19.0).  The difference between rc1 and final
>>> release is always small, but the number of new commits to mainline between
>>> that time can be quite large.
>>>
>> So we would merge rc1's back to mainline but how about the point releases?
>> 13.19.0-rc1
>> 13.19.1  ??
>> 13.19.2  ??
>>
>> 13.18-cert1-rc1
>> 13.18-cert2 ??
>> 13.18-cert3 ??
>>

>> Just to be clear certified branches would be untouched by this proposal.
>> Look at 'git log certified/13.13-cert9' - you will see the previous tagged
>> releases in the certified/13.13 release series.
>>
>> I think we should not do anything different with the point releases
>> (including 13.19.0) because of the commit order.  Think about when 13.18.4
>> were released.  If we merged it to 13 it would be in the wrong place on
>> 'git log 13'.  Easily 200 non-merge commits would appear after the 13.18.4
>> tag in the 13 branch, when in fact they are not part of the 13.18.4 tag.
>> My hope is that we can provide additional information, but only if the
>> information is accurate.
>>

> Sorry, I'm being thick...  So if it's only the rc1's then why won't an
> annotated tag do what you want without having to alter the mainline commit
> history with a merge?
>

> The whole point is for an annotated tag to be in the mainline commit
> history.  This way when you do 'tig 15' it will show where each release was
> split from mainline (the ones we merge in the future that is).

Sorry, yeah that's what I was talking about.  An annotated tag in the
mainline branches created at the point we create the release branches.

Here's how the 15 branch it would look in tig.  Mocked up of course.

$ tig
debug channe
channel' co
Transcode siren1
completion pass-
OAuth 2.0
"res_pjsip_outbound_registra
res_pjsip_outbound_registration.c:
'ASTERI

$ git log --oneline
4f54e20d80 (HEAD -> 15) CLI: Fix 'core set debug channel
779fc81793 CLI: Fix 'core set debug channel' completion
f2a35a941d (tag: 15.1.0) translate: Transcode siren14, s
aa3fb9887c res_clialiases: Fix completion pass-through.
4e11c2192f (tag: 15.0.0) res_xmpp: Google OAuth 2.0 prot
0442fcb586 Merge "res_pjsip_outbound_registration.c: Re-
6a736c3c0d Merge changes from topic 'ASTERISK-27147' int
c5618d7c29 Merge "res_pjsip_transport_management.c: Rena

$ git describe
15.1.0-2-g4f54e20d80