[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 15 Beta Released

Dan Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:15:51 CDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Matt Fredrickson <creslin at digium.com>
wrote:

> It is with great pleasure I wish to inform you of the first beta
> release of the new Asterisk 15 branch. It's a very exciting time to be
> a user of Asterisk! Asterisk 15 is arguably the biggest release of
> Asterisk that has happened in the last 10 or so years. There has been
> a lot of work done in the Asterisk core to better support newer
> multi-stream video and WebRTC related technologies.  For those who are
> interested, much of this will be covered in blog posts at
> http://blogs.asterisk.org/ over the next month or two.
>
> Typically, when a new major branch of Asterisk is created (13, 14,
> 15...), there are a few months of testing on the new branch that
> occurs prior to release in order to find regressions and other issues
> that may cause a first official release from the branch to be dead on
> arrival for a significant number of users. With today's release of
> 15.0.0-beta1, this process has begun. Please feel free to start
> testing this version of Asterisk in as many adverse environments as
> possible. Any bugs should be reported on the Asterisk issue tracker at
> https://issues.asterisk.org/
>
> As a side note, due to many of the core changes in the 15 branch that
> have been made since Asterisk 14 was released, it has been decided
> that Asterisk 15 will not be an LTS release. For those of you who are
> not familiar with the differences between LTS versus standard
> releases, you can find more information here [1].
>
> Thanks to all the many Asterisk community members for providing so
> much help and support to make Asterisk the great open source project
> that it is.
>
> P.S. Binary codecs and other modules distributed by Digium are not
> immediately available for 15.0.0-beta1, but should be shortly.
>
> Best wishes to all, and happy testing!
>
> [1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions
>
> --
> Matthew Fredrickson
> Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager
>
> --

After talking to Sean McCord about this, I realised you didn't say anything
about releasing a new LTS; which you don't _have_ to do but personally I
have clients who are looking to use new features in 14 under an LTS and
that's what we were expecting - I'm sure there are businesses out there
that still want an LTS to move to.

The reason we are all expecting an LTS is because of this line in the wiki
on the page you linked to "New releases of Asterisk will be made roughly
once a year, alternating between standard and LTS releases." (
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions)

I'd like to propose that we make 14.6 (or later) the LTS in a similar
fashion to how other communities are now promoting versions to LTS mid
cycle (https://github.com/nodejs/LTS). That way you get to release all the
exciting things that are in 15 but as a community we get LTS support on
everything thats now in 14 - as we know, some businesses will not move to a
non LTS and I think it would be a real shame to not get particular
organisations moved over to using some of the great things that have been
added in 14.

What are everyone's thoughts?