[asterisk-dev] Making pjproject_bundled the default in Asterisk 15

Dan Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 14:04:03 CDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:44 PM, George Joseph <gjoseph at digium.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 1:15 PM, George Joseph <gjoseph at digium.com> wrote:
>
>> The option to use the bundled version of pjproject has been available
>> since January 2016 and is the only "supported" method of using pjproject
>> now.  It's also the only effective way to troubleshoot since things like
>> DONT_OPTIMIZE and MALLOC_DEBUG are passed down the the bundled build.
>>
>> You can still disable it of course with '--without-pjproject-bundled'.
>>
>> There have been comments about needing internet access to build but you
>> can download the tarball and checksum yourself and place them in a known,
>> static, location, then use the '--with-externals-cache' option to tell
>> configure where it is.  Same for the precompiled codecs and the DPMA.
>>
>> You can also use the PJPROJECT_URL environment variable to change the
>> downlaod URL to a file:/// (or any) URL that points to the directory where
>> the tarball and checksum are located.
>>

> After some discussion I've added the following...
>
> To make building without an internet connection easier, a new ./configure
> option '--with-download-cache' was added that sets the cache for externals
> (like pjproject, the codecs and the DPMA), AND the sounds files. It can
> also be specified as an environment variable named "AST_DOWNLOAD_CACHE".
> The existing '--with-sounds-cache' option / SOUNDS_CACHE_DIR env variable
> and '--with-externals-cache' option / EXTERNALS_CACHE_DIR env variable
> remain and if specified, will override '--with-downloads-cache'.
>

>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> George Joseph
>> Digium, Inc. | Software Developer
>> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - US
>> Check us out at: www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org
>>

> --
> George Joseph
> Digium, Inc. | Software Developer
> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - US
> Check us out at: www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org
>

> --

Is this not the problem that people didn't like about PJSIP back at the
very beginning? I know the code isn't inside the Asterisk source code etc.
But should we be forcing people by default to use bundled?

I personally don't have an issue with it (As I use bundled all the time
now) - just thinking back to what people had an issue with however many
years ago