[asterisk-dev] Problem with PJSIP and Blind Transfers

Dan Cropp dan at amtelco.com
Thu Apr 20 13:34:27 CDT 2017

Just upgraded to Asterisk 14.4.0 and verified it's happening on this version.  Previously ran tests on 14.2.1 with the same behavior.

We are using AMI to tell Asterisk to perform a Transfer (really a blind transfer).

When we perform this with a chan_sip endpoint, everything works fine for both success and failed transfers.

Success receives a NOTIFY with a "Subscription-State: terminated" and SIP/2.0 200 OK.  Asterisk responds with an OK to the other end.  Then, I see the SIP trace showing Asterisk ending the call (BYE).
This success all happens at the same time we see an AMI Event with the TRANSFERSTATUS of SUCCESS.

Failure condition with chan_sip.  Again, working correctly.
Sends the REFER packet, receives 202 Accepted, receives a NOTIFY of Trying, replies with OK (response to NOTIFY).  Then, Asterisk receives a NOTIFY with a SIP/2.0 404 Not Found, replies with OK.
When the NOTIFY 404 Not Found is processed, Asterisk sends an AMI event with the TRANSFERSTATUS of FAILURE.

With PJSIP, it seems as though the success/failure of the Transfer dial plan command occurs when it sends the REFER.  It never waits to know if it succeeds or fails.
Looking at the PJSIP messages, this TRANSFERSTATUS is sent even before the other side has responded with the 202 Accepted packet.

When logging the PJSIP messages, I see the so valid number case sends the REFER, receives 202 Accepted, but the trace doesn't write the Notify/OK response with the Verbosity and PJSIP debug enabled.

For failures, I do not even see the 404 Not Found in the log.  Asterisk replies with a TRANSFERSTATUS of SUCCESS when the other end sends the 404 Not Found.

Is the correct next step to submit an Issue?

Dan