[asterisk-dev] ARI StasisEnd event vs. channel variables

Sébastien Duthil sduthil at proformatique.com
Fri Oct 21 08:37:52 CDT 2016

On 19/10/16 11:59 AM, Mark Michelson wrote:
> I actually have a patch I've written locally in my spare time that
> adds an ari.conf option called "channelvars" that works exactly the
> same as for manager.conf. In other words, it modifies channel
> snapshots to have the channel variables specified in ari.conf. Then,
> every channel snapshot that is part of an event sent on the ARI
> websocket will have those variables.
>
> I came up with this idea because in addition to Sebastien's comment
> about wanting variables on StasisEnd, other people told me they want
> channel variables on other events. Their reasoning being that they
> don't want the delay of having to look up channel variables every time
> channel state changes. By emitting a subset of channel variables
> (those that you care about in ARI), the message size can be limited to
> whatever you want.

That's great news! Could you share this patch? Since other people have
expressed such a need, and it would also solve the StasisEnd variables
problem, I think this solutions is the best bet.

> I had thought about making the list of channel variables per-ARI app
> instead of global, but I don't know if that's actually desired.

The underlining question would be: do people use ARI as one big
application that does all the logic, or do they use ARI as many small
applications that handle different parts of their logic? In the "one big
application" case, global configuration is enough. In the "many small
applications" case, the different applications will probably need
different variables, and global configuration will clutter the events
with variables that application mostly don't care about. I guess
per-application configuration fits better with the philosophy of ARI.

--
Sébastien Duthil