[asterisk-dev] Viva Chan_Sip, may it rest in peace

Corey Farrell git at cfware.com
Fri Oct 7 10:31:07 CDT 2016

Many people don't like chan_sip, most people hate working with the code.
The rush to throw out chan_sip when PJSIP isn't ready to be the only SIP
stack annoys me a bit.  Nobody is forcing anyone to use or contribute to
chan_sip.  Digium changed chan_sip from core to extended support so they
can significantly reduce involvement.  At some point chan_sip will fizzle
out but that hasn't happened yet.

Last time I checked about 200 of the PJSIP testsuite tests produced AO2
leaks, in many cases hundreds of objects were leaked [1].  Some of these
leaks may be caused by bugs in tests and I realize that many use cases must
work without major leaking, but some use cases could cause failures.  I've
submitted some fixes but I find PJSIP leak tracing more difficult than
other parts of Asterisk.

The current policy of allowing new features into released LTS branches is a
concern for me with PJSIP.  If I were to start using PJSIP I would have to
worry about each 13.x.0 release having a new PJSIP feature possibly cause a
bug.  A lot of bad things can be said about chan_sip, but new features are
extremely unlikely in 13.12.0.  It would be nice if a core set of PJSIP and
other modules could be declared LTS frozen.  During LTS releases these
modules would be strictly bug fix only.  I suspect this is not yet wanted
or possible for PJSIP modules, but hope it can be re-evaluated before new
LTS branches.  My hope is that eventually a basic PJSIP PBX could be run
using only frozen modules.  Users with a specific needs or higher risk
tolerance could run some / all of the unfrozen modules to get more advanced
or less mature features.  Eventually the list of frozen modules could grow
as each module becomes feature complete and is proven stable.

I do see chan_pjsip in my future.  It has all the features I need plus the
config handling will improve my handling of dynamic peers.  I have no
timeframe to migrate as I can't ignore my concerns and they can't be
addressed overnight.

[1] https://jenkins.asterisk.org/jenkins/job/periodic-ref_de
bug-asterisk-13/8/