[asterisk-dev] Working Groups

Dan Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 04:25:42 CDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Matt Fredrickson <creslin at digium.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Welcome back to all of you who attended AstriDevCon.  Thanks so much
> for all of you that attended and gave so much of your time to be able
> to contribute.
>
> One of the ideas proposed in AstriDevCon was to create the notion of
> working groups within the Asterisk project, similarly to the way that
> the node.js project operates.  I think this would be separate from the
> notion of maintainers of modules or subsystems in Asterisk, which we
> already have, and be more targeted towards areas that are non code
> related or areas of new code contribution.
>
> I'm assuming that this would mean each working group has a directive
> or mission of some sort, a list of members, and someone responsible
> for the output of the group itself (someone to hang, in a manner of
> speaking :-) ).
>
> Presumably we initially would need to identify some key areas of coverage.
>
> Since the discussion began at Astricon, I'd love to see some
> continuation here on the list and welcome any additional
> thoughts/interest/disinterest.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Matthew Fredrickson
> Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager
>
> --

So +1 to working groups (oh it was me that suggested it - can I +1 my own
idea?)

I suggested it because of the lack of ways of being able to ask for feature
requests through Jira. The idea was 1) to get the community more a part of
what drives Asterisk forward (and not just those that can turn up to
devcon) but 2) to be able to formulate a plan on things we want in certain
areas going forward. For the Node.js project there are many working groups
for different purposes (https://nodejs.org/en/about/working-groups/) - I'm
part of the documentation working group for Node.js. Because Node.js is
covered under the Node.js foundation (and then the linux foundation) people
within these working groups directly influence X.

So the documentation working group tries to make clear documentation etc
etc; theres an Internationalisation working group who purely put their
skills in multiple languages into action by translating blog
posts/website/documentation etc into other languages used throughout the
world.

Its a little different here because Digium are pretty much in tight control
of a lot of stuff.

But we can still affect change within the community. So three areas close
to my heart are migrating away from chan_sip (purely from a removing old
code, we don't need two SIP stacks point of view), ARI and future features
for that - at the moment we have a wiki page for feature requests but
doesn't encourage talking publicly about these things and the third is
documentation - we all know the wiki isn't brilliant. if you know where
you're going then yes, the wiki is amazing. I have a new dev working at
Nimble Ape who started looking at ARI the week I was away at Devcon. I got
back and was talking to him and he said it was hard to find good docs etc -
he had found the examples on the wiki but when I sent him the REST docs and
the Events docs that are within the wiki he proclaimed "this is exactly
what I needed last week" - the docs are there but hard to find etc. a
documentation working group would try to tackle this.

So yes, I'm up for working groups, each should be led by one person and
then a team built up under them. Ideally I'd like to discussion to be easy
and in a public place - this would mean (in my opinion) either making a new
github org or utilising the asterisk github org, making public repos for
each working group and having maintainers of them (for example the testing
node.js working group is here - https://github.com/nodejs/testing) - I'd
rather it be encompassed by the asterisk org but don't know how that would
sit with Digium etc.

Three potential working groups:

PJSIP migration
Documentation