[asterisk-dev] Asterisk goes Spatial Conferencing: the STEAK project

Dennis Guse dennis.guse at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 25 08:20:18 CST 2016

Hey guys,

we continued working on our largest changeset: https://gerrit.
asterisk.org/#/c/3524/
Besides the copyright of HRTFs (still under investigation from our side),
the only issue on our side is the introduced `settings_lock` (defined in
bridge.h:254).
This lock is used in addition to the bridge-lock in bridge_softmix:1093.

The issue the settings_lock solves is that during bridge startup (actually
`softmix_mixing_thread()`) we need to know the configuration parameters (is
binaural active or not?).
Since the startup of the mixing thread and parsing the configuration is
asynchronous (at least our understanding: we saw race conditions), we use
the 2nd lock to wait until configuration information is available before
really starting the mixing thread.
We could avoid introducing the settings_lock by repeatedly checking in the
mixing loop.
However, this doesn't sound like a good idea...
Thus, a bridge now has two locks (ast_bridge_lock and the settings_lock),
which is some overengineering.

Is there a better solution to addressing this issue?

---
Dennis Guse

---
Dennis Guse