[asterisk-dev] Proposed Working Group Guidelines

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Nov 16 08:39:21 CST 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Sebastian <scgm11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I’m up to help on the working groups.
>
> 1) About the work there not being reflected as patches to the source code I
> think the Matt idea of involving an Asterisk developer will make this easier
> to validate the ideas and not work in something that is not going to be on
> asterisk, so the time spent working is not in vain.
>
> 2) ok
>
> 3) About mailing listst and wiki I’m agree with Dan, is hard to follow up.
> (I know this is a no go but Github would really be veary easy or even
> Bitbucket that has Bitbucket pipelines to execute builds and test with CI
> with PRs and code review)
>
> What do you think about using gitter? or slack? the gitter could be added to
> the github mirror to be easy to get there ?

I'm so old school, I prefer mailing lists usually, but I understand
the desire that a lot of people want newer tools.  My perspective is
that people can use whatever collaboration tools they'd like to use,
as long they're publicly available for others to lurk on and they're
linked to on the working group's wiki page.

> 4) Meeting at the same hour weekly I see that hard to do it for everyone,
> for people in different timezones or even working commitments, maybe a more
> relaxed way of doing it?

Not sure - it seems like it helps to have a regular meeting to drive
the work, but I suppose we could make that working group dependent of
how that occurs.

> 9) about the process to contribute maybe do it as it is now with gerrit
> reviews? and maybe access to the wiki to contribute on documentation too.

I'm gonna say maybe that should be working group dependent.  I think
some groups will probably have code focus, and others probably are
going to produce documents/documentation instead.

Matthew Fredrickson