[asterisk-dev] group video calling

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Nov 14 12:54:38 CST 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:56 AM, ZAIN AFTAB <zain991 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>           I have posted this question in the asterisk forum, and they
> asked me to contact the asterisk-development forum.
>

> I want to call ring group where 2 monitors will ring simultaneously, and I
> want pre video feature for it( that is video before answering the call). I
> am surprised that it works when I dial one SIP video monitor ( I get the
> video before answering the call), but when I dial the ring group (with two
> sip extensions), I dont get the video before answering the call. I only get
> video once the call is answered.
>

> 3CX supports this feature by default, we dont need to configure anything,
> I believe there must be some options for asterisk as well.
>
> I need this feature for my video door entry system, it is a big project,
> and I want to solve it for my customers
> Is there anyone who has worked on this kind of project before ? Any help
> would be much appreciated
>
> thanks in advance

Asterisk does not mix media during an early bridge situation, regardless of
the media type. In a situation where a parallel dial is occurring, Asterisk
will simply pick a winner and forward the media on to the caller.

Assuming Asterisk was modified to mix early media, Asterisk would still not
forward two or more video streams. Asterisk does not mix or transcode
video, nor does it support forwarding multiple video sources in a single
stream (in a selective forwarding unit fashion).

Changing the behavior of the previous two points would require relatively
large and substantial changes in Asterisk.

I would expect Asterisk to forward a single video stream in an early
bridge; if that's not happening, I would suspect that's something that
could be fixed relatively easily in app_dial.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | CTO