[asterisk-dev] Proposed Working Group Guidelines

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Fri Nov 4 09:07:20 CDT 2016

Hey All,

I've been thinking a lot about how working groups might work within
the context of the Asterisk project.  Here are a few guidelines that I
have come up with governing working groups.  Some of these guidelines
come from the Node project, as they have a lot of pre-existing
material on doing this.  I deliberately avoided comprehensively
importing their structure and guidelines, but pulled from some of
their more essential core principles.

1. There is no explicit or implicit commitment that a working group’s
output will actually be turned into code/patches by Digium or anybody
else outside of the working group.

2. Some working group topics might include: documentation, feature
request list, benchmarking, debug-ability, bug tracker triaging and
replication, migration efforts from SIP to PJSIP (and more?)

3. They need somewhere to “work” - so a section of the asterisk.org
wiki and probably a mailing list.  This can be a work item for me to
get taken care of.

4. Need a regular (weekly?) meeting time and “place” (an Asterisk
conference call, IRC, a google hangout, etc).

5. Need a charter of some sort - a charter would be a clearly defined
mission statement determining the subject matter of the group’s
efforts.

6. Need at least three initial members (pulled from node.js guidelines)

7. Need to follow a consensus seeking process for any decisions
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus-seeking_decision-making)

8. Membership cannot be changed (added or removed) without unanimous
consensus of the members of the group (pulled from node.js guidelines)

9. In order to create one, talk to me and I can see about getting
infrastructure (mailing list, wiki, git access) setup.

Let me know if you have any thoughts, questions, or qualms with the
above guidelines.  I'll wiki-fy the results of any discussion here.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager