[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-users] Ubuntu 14 Warning

George Joseph gjoseph at digium.com
Tue May 3 08:59:09 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 10:04:54AM -0600, George Joseph wrote:
> > This morning, 2 of us noticed that running contrib/scripts/install_prereq
> > on a fresh Ubuntu 14 system actually removed critical packages like
> > network-manager, openssh-server, perl, git, and a bunch of others.  It
> > appears that the culprit is the libsnmp-dev package. It's default
> conflict
> > resolution solution is to uninstall conflicting packages and the
> alternate
> > solution is to correctly upgrade the conflicting packages.  Since
> > install_prereq doesn't give you the opportunity to choose the solution,
> it
> > does the uninstall and you're left with an unusable system.
>
> Can you please remove any '-y's from the apt-get / aptitude
> command-lines and try reproducing it? Also maybe use aptitude instead of
> apt-get.

Running it manually is how I narrowed it down to libsnmp-dev.
>From a fresh install of ubuntu-14.04.4-server-amd64.iso...

'aptitude install libsnmp-dev' (which is what install_prereq does) will
produce the following...

===========
root at ubuntu14-64:~# aptitude install libsnmp-dev
  binutils{a} cpp{a} cpp-4.8{a} gcc{a} gcc-4.8{a} libasan0{a} libatomic1{a}
libc-dev-bin{a} libc6-dev{a}
  libcloog-isl4{a} libgcc-4.8-dev{a} libgmp10{a} libgomp1{a} libisl10{a}
libitm1{a} libmpc3{a}
  libmpfr4{a} libperl5.18{a} libquadmath0{a} libsensors4{a}
libsensors4-dev{a} libsnmp-base{a}
  libsnmp-dev libsnmp30{a} libssl-dev{a} libssl-doc{a} libtsan0{a}
libwrap0-dev{a} linux-libc-dev{a}
  manpages-dev{a} zlib1g-dev{a}
  libssl1.0.0 perl-base
2 packages upgraded, 31 newly installed, 0 to remove and 45 not upgraded.
Need to get 25.6 MB of archives. After unpacking 91.7 MB will be used.
 perl : Depends: perl-base (= 5.18.2-2ubuntu1) but 5.18.2-2ubuntu1.1 is to
be installed.

      Remove the following packages:
1)      at
2)      init-system-helpers
3)      libarchive-extract-perl
4)      libclass-accessor-perl
5)      libio-string-perl
6)      liblog-message-simple-perl
7)      libmodule-pluggable-perl
8)      libparse-debianchangelog-perl
9)      libpod-latex-perl
10)     libsub-name-perl
11)     libterm-ui-perl
12)     libtext-soundex-perl
13)     libtimedate-perl
14)     openssh-server
15)     perl
16)     perl-modules
17)     rsyslog
18)     ubuntu-minimal

      Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
19)     aptitude recommends libparse-debianchangelog-perl
20)     perl-modules recommends libarchive-extract-perl
21)     perl-modules recommends libmodule-pluggable-perl
22)     perl-modules recommends libpod-latex-perl
23)     perl-modules recommends libterm-ui-perl
24)     perl-modules recommends libtext-soundex-perl
25)     ssh-import-id recommends openssh-server
26)     openssh-sftp-server recommends openssh-server | ssh-server

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

     Upgrade the following packages:

1)     perl [5.18.2-2ubuntu1 (now, trusty) -> 5.18.2-2ubuntu1.1
(trusty-security, trusty-updates)]
2)     perl-modules [5.18.2-2ubuntu1 (now, trusty) -> 5.18.2-2ubuntu1.1
(trusty-security, trusty-updates)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.

===========

'apt-get install libsnmp-dev' will complete successfully.

===========

root at ubuntu14-64:~# apt-get install libsnmp-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  binutils cpp cpp-4.8 gcc gcc-4.8 libasan0 libatomic1 libc-dev-bin
libc6-dev
  libcloog-isl4 libgcc-4.8-dev libgmp10 libgomp1 libisl10 libitm1 libmpc3
  libmpfr4 libperl5.18 libquadmath0 libsensors4 libsensors4-dev libsnmp-base
  libsnmp30 libssl-dev libssl-doc libssl1.0.0 libtsan0 libwrap0-dev
  linux-libc-dev manpages-dev perl perl-base perl-modules zlib1g-dev
Suggested packages:
  binutils-doc cpp-doc gcc-4.8-locales gcc-multilib make autoconf
automake1.9
  libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.8-multilib gcc-4.8-doc libgcc1-dbg
  libgomp1-dbg libitm1-dbg libatomic1-dbg libasan0-dbg libtsan0-dbg
  libquadmath0-dbg glibc-doc lm-sensors snmp-mibs-downloader perl-doc
  libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl libb-lint-perl
  libcpanplus-dist-build-perl libcpanplus-perl libfile-checktree-perl
  liblog-message-perl libobject-accessor-perl
  binutils cpp cpp-4.8 gcc gcc-4.8 libasan0 libatomic1 libc-dev-bin
libc6-dev
  libcloog-isl4 libgcc-4.8-dev libgmp10 libgomp1 libisl10 libitm1 libmpc3
  libmpfr4 libperl5.18 libquadmath0 libsensors4 libsensors4-dev libsnmp-base
  libsnmp-dev libsnmp30 libssl-dev libssl-doc libtsan0 libwrap0-dev
  linux-libc-dev manpages-dev zlib1g-dev
  libssl1.0.0 perl perl-base perl-modules
4 upgraded, 31 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 30.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 91.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
<snip>

===========

I'm actually not sure why install_prereq uses aptitude instead of apt-get.

> > Why this is happening now is unclear.  To work around this, you can
> either
> > run "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" manually, or run "apt-get
> > install libsnmp-dev" manually and say "no" to the first solution and
> "yes"
> > to the second.  Then run install_prereq.
>
> Could you please provide a more complete log?
>
> See /var/log/apt/history.log or term.log in the same directory.

Here are the logs from the failed aptitude install:
history.log:  https://pastebin.com/q3qVSuPn
term.log: https://pastebin.com/aGpzf5hU

After a reset of the VM,

Here are the logs from the successful apt-get install:
history.log: https://pastebin.com/yr1cPh1J
term.log: https://pastebin.com/L1d7Pa60

> --
>                Tzafrir Cohen