[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Load Performance

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Wed Jun 29 11:14:04 CDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Michael Petruzzello <
michael.petruzzello at civi.com> wrote:

> It is very interesting how threading issues on both a stasis application
> and Asterisk escalate each other. Using 15 websockets in one stasis
> application and removing all thread locking from the application have made
> the ARI messages flow smoothly. Right now I am using about 900 threads to
> process messages from Asterisk and Asterisk has at least 320 in stasis,
> though that can increase to infinity.
>
> I have also disabled the channel_varset from stasis because it becomes
> really unwieldy. When having thousands of callers in a bridge, every time a
> channel is added to a bridge or removed, every channel receives a channel
> var set message because of the BridgePeer variable.
>
> As of now, I have two remaining problems:
>
> 1. At around having 5,000 channels in a bridge (whether majority are muted
> or not), the audio breaks down. Anyone talking can only be heard in 3
> second bursts approximately every 5-10 seconds. At 10,000 channels only
> static can be heard in these 3 second bursts.
>
> Is there anything I can optimize so that Asterisk can handle all these
> channels in a bridge?

Each softmix bridge has only one thread performing all of the media mixing
for the bridge.  To
get better mixing performance for such a large conference, you will need to
create several
softmix bridges in a hierarchy with the bridges linked by local channels.

Richard