[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Load Performance

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Tue Jun 21 12:16:23 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Michael Petruzzello <
michael.petruzzello at civi.com> wrote:

> >On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Richard Mudgett <rmudgett at digium.com>
> wrote:

> Stasis
> part,

> tasks.
> queue
> queue
> task
> processor
> taskprocessor_push:

> code
> stasis
> bottle
> close to

> JVM so
> using for

> 40
> >>

> >> There are no options to disable those taskprocessor queue size warnings.
> >> They are a
> >> symptom of the system being severely stressed.  If the stress continues
> it
> >> is possible
> >> that the system could consume all memory in those taskprocessor queues.
> >>
> >> Recent changes to the Asterisk v13 branch were made to help throttle
> back
> >> incoming
> >> SIP requests on PJSIP when the taskprocessors become backlogged like
> you are
> >> seeing.
> >> These changes will be in the forthcoming v13.10.0 release.  If you
> want, you
> >> can test with
> >> the current v13 branch to see how these changes affect your stress
> testing.
> >>
> >> If you don't need CDR's then you really need to disable them as they
> consume
> >> a lot of
> >> processing time and the CDR taskprocessor queue backlog can take
> minutes to
> >> clear.
> >>

> >To echo what Richard said, because Asterisk is now sharing state
> >across the Stasis message bus, turning off subscribers to that bus
> >will help performance. Some easy ones to disable, if you aren't using
> >them, are CDRs, CEL, and AMI. Those all do a reasonable amount of
> >processing, and you can get some noticeable improvement by disabling
> >them.
> >
> >Once you get past that, you can start fiddling with some of the lower
> >level options. To start, you can throttle things back further by
> >disabling certain internal messages in stasis.conf. As stasis.conf
> >notes, functionality within Asterisk can break (or just not happen) if
> >some messages are removed. For example, disabling
> >'ast_channel_snapshot_type' would break ... most things. You may
> >however be able to streamline your application by looking at what ARI
> >messages it cares about, what messages it doesn't, inspecting the
> >code, and disabling those that you don't care about. Lots of testing
> >should occur before doing this, of course.
> >
> >You may also be able to get some different performance characteristics
> [...]

The subm:devService-test-00000038 taskprocessor is servicing the stasis
message bus
communication with your devService-test ARI application.  Since each
taskprocessor is
executed by one thread, that is going to be a bottleneck.  One thing you
can try is to
register multiple copies of your ARI application and randomly spread the
calls to the
different copies of the application.  (devService-test1,
devService-test2,...)

Richard