[asterisk-dev] BuildSystem: make --jobs without amount of thread hangs

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Thu Jun 9 08:01:40 CDT 2016

I tested running -j without a process limit and while it was successful
building 13 on my primary desktop (8g ram 4 core machine with ssd), it
resulted in a load average over 40, sluggish response, and ran slightly
slower than -j$(nproc).  Here is my results:

1m32.204s => make -j
1m27.274s => make -j$(nproc)
4m50.423s => make

With a lessor powered system (1g ram, 1 cpu):

During make -j the system became extremely sluggish after the first few
minutes, with a load avg over 600 and over 1200 processes in running
state.  After about 20 minutes I gave up waiting for it to finish.
8m16.065s => make -j$(nproc)

If the high number of processes with -j starts eating enough virtual memory
that the page rate becomes significant, the system performance slows to a
crawl making the entire system unusable.

There is no problem in either make or Asterisk build process as far as I am
able to see.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 5:16 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 02:09:04PM -0500, Matt Fredrickson wrote:
>
> > I usually don't build Asterisk with multiple jobs enabled, so I'm not
> > sure if we support this or not.
>
> IIRC it mostly work, but only as long as you don't mix 'make' and 'make
> install'. IIRC this is commonly used by packagers. But I may be wrong.
>
> --
>                Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com
>
> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 256 580 6090
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org