[asterisk-dev] BuildSystem: make --jobs without amount of thread hangs

Alexander Traud pabstraud at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 8 13:58:00 CDT 2016

On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, when I build Asterisk 13.9.1 via

wget downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/asterisk-13-current.tar.gz
tar zxf asterisk-1*.tar.gz
sudo apt install libssl-dev libncurses-dev libnewt-dev libxml2-dev libsqlite3-dev uuid-dev libjansson-dev libedit-dev libblocksruntime-dev
./configure

make --jobs

the whole computer hangs. Normally, this indicates a dependency issue in the Makefile. Furthermore, I faced dependency issues with make --jobs while doing a partial compile. However, at that time, I did not debug this. Therefore, even specifying not unlimited but a certain amount of threads might not reliable in all cases.

I would love to debug this, however, I have no idea where to start. Does anyone know about a debugging strategy for this? Or should I just report this issue on JIRA, so that someone else looks into this one day?