[asterisk-dev] Development of asterisk 1.4.23 Can we please get some development?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Jul 15 10:30:30 CDT 2016

> On 15 Jul 2016, at 16:51, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
>
> The modules you are referring to were removed quite awhile ago due to not having an active maintainer contributing to the project [1]. Since no one active in the project used the modules, or could verify their functionality, and those who were using them had forked Asterisk completely, we opted to remove them rather than ship broken or vulnerable code.
>
> I do not think that anyone in Digium is interested in maintaining these modules, nor is anyone here interested in doing the port of the old 1.4 modules to the existing code base. I think all of us would be happy to answer questions, but someone else in the greater Asterisk community would have to do the work and commit to being the maintainer of those modules.
>
> Asterisk is an open source project. As an open source project, anyone - absolutely *anyone* - can step up, modify the existing app_rpt/chan_usbradio/core of Asterisk, and submit the patches back to the project. We have a lot of resources to help with that:

+1
We did try to communicate with the contacts we had back then but failed to get any response, so we gave up. It wasn’t Digium as a company, it was us all working with the project. We
did not understand the code and could not maintain it.

I would be very happy to see the repeater code coming back to the tree and staying up to date in the tree , but that will, as Matt points out, require active maintainers.

Regards,
/Olle