[asterisk-dev] Proposal to bring pjproject back into the fold

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Mon Jan 18 20:12:01 CST 2016

I'm VERY frustrated with pjproject right now.  Not the software itself
(well maybe a little) but the fact that troubleshooting is a nightmare
because we can't control what version of pjproject was installed along with
Asterisk and we can't control what options it was compiled with.  This
leads to issue where we're getting great debugging from Asterisk but
nothing at all from pjproject because the user installed from their distro
and it has no debugging info.  So now we have to walk them though getting
pjproject from source, etc, etc.  This can also cause issues should Teluu
change an API or some behavior that we're not prepared for and the user
just does a 'yum update pjproject' and Asterisk dies.  Then there's the
issue where even though the verison is the same, the compiled-in options
differ, some of them quite fatally.  That unleashes a whole other mess.

pjproject was deeply embedded in 11 and I don't think that was right but I
think we went too far in 13 by taking the hands-off approach.  Maybe at the
start of 13 it was ok, but we've since put chan_sip into "extended" support
so we're pushing chan_pjsip as the supported stack, instead of it just
being optional.  Not to mention that chan_sip needs res_rtp_asterisk which
is also dependent on pjproject.  Can you see where I'm going? :)

I propose that we bring pjproject into a new 'third-party' directory and
statically link our res_pjsip* modules to it.  We should NOT check it into
the Asterisk repository however.  Instead we should use scripts like
get_mp3_source to get a specific pjproject version and a 'patches'
directory that IS checked in that has things we've discovered we need.  The
patches should always be proposed upstream.

It's a lot of work but I'm willing to dig in and I'll bet I could get a few
volunteers to help.

Thoughts?