[asterisk-dev] Attn: pjproject packagers

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Sun Feb 28 09:55:09 CST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 04:44:35PM -0700, George Joseph wrote:
> > If you package pjproject for your distribution, you should take a look at
> > the "Building and Installing pjproject"
> > <
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Building+and+Installing+pjproject
> >
> > ​ page on the Asterisk Wiki.  I've updated it with more information,
> > especially pertaining to pjproject's default limits.  Of particular note
> is
> > the setting of
> > ​
> > PJ_IOQUEUE_MAX_HANDLES
> > ​ which sets the limit of simultaneous TCP/TLS connections.  The default
> of
> > 64​ is probably OK for a client app but not for a server.  I'm also
> working
> > with Teluu to enable the use of epoll instead of select on Linux systems
> > which will remove that limit altogether.
>
> Thanks,
>

> > Which brings me to a question...  Are you guys OK with packaging
> pjproject
> > for server use instead of it's intended client app use?
>
> Can you please give an example of the changes required?

​The wiki page has a suggested config_site.h that has the changes I've
accumulated so far.  They're things like increasing the maximum number of
dialogs ​from 512 to 64k and increasing the UDP buffer sizes.

The most significant though is PJ_IOQUEUE_MAX_HANDLES which limits the
number of TCP/TLS connections and defaults to 64.  For a server
application, It should really be set to whatever the max the OS allows with
select (FD_SETSIZE).  With epoll as the ioqueue mechanism, it should be set
to something even larger like 5000.

Another one I'm running across are the TCP and TLS accept() backlogs which
are currently only 5 which, on a heavily loaded system, might not be enough.