[asterisk-dev] Certified asterisk patches not in trunk?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Feb 11 06:43:00 CST 2016

> On 11 Feb 2016, at 13:06, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
>
> Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> From the web page:
>>
>> "Certified Asterisk releases have undergone additional testing and
>> are made less frequently - typically two to four times a year.
>> Certified Asterisk releases are generally identical to the Long Term
>> Support release they are based on, save for additional bug fixes that
>> were applied during testing.”
>>
>> http://www.asterisk.org/downloads/asterisk/all-asterisk-versions
>>
>> I hope that this is wrong - that Certified Asterisk has patches for
>> bug fixes not included in the LTS release.
>
> The statement is correct from the perspective of Certified. Since Certified releases are based off one LTS release (Certified 13.1 is based off Asterisk 13.1) they don't have any bug fixes that came later. Therefore when an issue is found during testing either a fix is backported from the normal 13 branch or if a new fix is created it is applied to all applicable branches just like a normal fix. The statement above is trying to convey that Certified is the LTS release + additional things not present in the original (Certified 13.1 != Asterisk 13.1 in the end). There are no fixes in Certified that are not present in the normal branches.

THat last sentence does not agree with the quote. Please update the web page to assure
everyone that the LTS has these patches.

Yes, I gotten confused users contact me about this. “We need certified because there are bug fixes in there that is not included in other releases”. We need to be very, very clear :-)

/O