[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Docker Containers: Phase 1

Chad McElligott cmcelligott at digium.com
Tue Nov 17 12:03:56 CST 2015

Hey Leif,

The Respoke team here at Digium has been doing quite a bit of work with
Docker lately, and we have shared a few Dockerfiles up on Docker Hub[1] as
well.

The goal for our work seems to have a different target than yours, though.
While you are working to make building packages suitable for deployment
easier, we are actually aiming to deploy the docker containers we build to
production.

The scope of our initial work has been to focus on a set of images to make
deploying asterisk with chan_respoke as easy as possible. Our pjsip[2]
image has a customization to increase the maximum number of allowed ice
candidates pjsip will support. Our asterisk[3] image builds on our custom
pjsip image, utilizes the basic-pbx "Super Awesome Company" as its default
set of configs, and supports easy customization of all config files by
automatically parsing any jinja2 templates placed in /etc/asterisk/.
Finally, our chan_respoke[4] image builds on our asterisk image.

All of these images build from source and are versioned. We are currently
focused on the bleeding edge at the moment, with images built for pjsip
2.4.5 and asterisk 13.5.0 & 13.6.0. We haven't spent any time concerning
ourselves about image size, but there's certainly room for improvement on
that front.

David Lee also has done some preliminary work to facilitate development of
Asterisk & chan_respoke in a project "asterisk-docker-dev" on his
Github[5]. Using this project is my primary means of development on
chan_respoke, since it currently only builds on linux and my primary
development machine is a mac.

Even though our goals seems to be different, we're definitely looking
forward to seeing what you come up with in your work with Asterisk and
Docker. Docker has proven so far to be a huge boon and we are excited to
see more adoption in the Asterisk community.

[1]: https://hub.docker.com/u/respoke/dashboard/
[2]: https://github.com/respoke/pjsip-docker
[3]: https://github.com/respoke/asterisk-docker
[4]: https://github.com/respoke/chan_respoke-docker