[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Beacon Module Proposal

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Thu May 7 23:40:43 CDT 2015

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone -
>
> At the past several AstriDevCon events, we've had an open discussion
> about adding a module to Asterisk that would gather anonymous usage
> statistics. Said module would be used to help the Asterisk Developer
> community better support the users of Asterisk, as we would have some
> indication of the modules being used by the reporting segment of the
> Asterisk community. There are, of course, a couple of agreed upon
> stipulations for such a module:
>
> * As noted, all information gathering must be anonymous. No
> information about the sending system should allow for someone viewing
> the data to be able to identify the system in quesiton.
>
> * The module must send all of its data encrypted.
>
> * Users must be notified as the last message on startup that anonymous
> usage statistics are being gathered.
>
> * The module must provide the ability for users to opt out of
> gathering statistics.
>
> * Users must be able to go to asterisk.org and view the statistics
> gathered for their server. The module must provide a unique,
> non-identifying token that users can use to view the gathered
> statistics for their servers.
>
> After some careful thought, we've put together a proposal for such a
> module – called “Beacon” - on the Asterisk wiki [1]. In addition to
> meeting the requirements discussed at previous AstriDevCons, the
> proposal on the wiki outlines a Swagger schema for a REST API that the
> module will talk to. The module configuration will support sending the
> usage statistics to more than just the server at asterisk.org,
> effectively allowing anyone to send statistics from their servers to
> other implementations of the REST API. This can be beneficial for
> people deploying large numbers of Asterisk servers.
>
> As mentioned, the asterisk.org site will be updated to allow for users
> to view the collected statistics. A sample screenshot is attached to
> this e-mail. Note that this is merely a mock up given some fake data,
> but it should hopefully illustrate what this may look like for
> Asterisk users.

How about a summary dashboard anyone can view?
Total number of pbxes by version, global count of modules used,  OSes used,
etc.

Another thing that might be useful is a histogram of peer/endpoint count
per pbx.  How many pbxes with 1-50, 51-250, 251-1000, etc.  Maybe by
technology, IAX2, SIP, PJSIP, etc.