[asterisk-dev] ARI - Add Support for custom SIP Headers with Originate

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Mar 9 03:20:47 CDT 2015

On 09 Mar 2015, at 08:54, Nir Simionovich <nir.simionovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cool, too bad it isn't documented. I'll add it into PHPARI as well.

I believe that this was one of the reasons we created the support for _VARIABLE and __VARIABLE
in Asterisk. The ability to reach over to the new channel from the old channel was required
for a number of things we wanted to do.

The code is very old and at the time it was seem as a bad hack to use the channel
variables for this.  The decision was not to expose this part while trying to figure out a better
way to do it. It's still around, about ten years later. :-)

I have mentioned this a number of times on various mailing lists, so it should be known,
even though it is not documented.

Make sure that if you add variables not using the dialplan function,  you must use high numbers and
decrement so the risk of a collision is lower.

/O