[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] 4453: Asterisk 14: RTP improvements

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Mar 2 10:22:44 CST 2015

On 02 Mar 2015, at 16:54, Matt Jordan <reviewboard at asterisk.org> wrote:

> {quote}
> Buffering/reordering
>
> RTP may be received in bursts, out of order, or in other less-than-ideal ways. Asterisk will implement reception buffers to place incoming RTP traffic into, potentially reordering packets as necessary if they arrive out of order.
> {quote}

By default, asterisk should forward RTP packets without any buffer, without reordering or doing anything. Today Asterisk renumbers packets - thus hiding packet loss and reordering. This is bad.

Forwarding with packet loss and reordering is quite ok as default. The endpoint in the call will sort it up with a jitter buffer.

In some cases Asterisk is the endpoint of the RTP stream (IVR, protocol conversion). In that case we can apply a buffer like any endpoint. But not by default.

I guess cases with transcoding involved also requires a jitter buffer.

/O