[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Beacon Module Proposal

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jun 8 08:55:51 CDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Russell Bryant
<russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
>>
>> Suggestion 1: Make the module opt in instead of opt out.
>>
>> In most cases, I would normally agree with this proposal, as I
>> personally prefer an opt in model instead of an opt out model.
>> Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can think of a way where this suggestion
>> would work with Asterisk - where work implies that a meaningful number
>> of people are presented with the option to opt in in a consistent
>
> I feel that "opt-out" is fundamentally wrong from a privacy perspective.
> Further, I think the potential backlash and resulting damage to the project
> is pretty severe.
>
> I also don't think "opt-in is hard" is an acceptable reason not to do it.
> If it's too hard to make an opt-in solution useful, then maybe it shouldn't
> be done at all.  This sort of thing really doesn't seem very common, and
> this is probably a big reason why.

I have to agree with Russell.  An opt-out model doesn't mesh well with
current privacy standards.  If opt-in is too hard, then it shouldn't
be done at all.  As the official Fedora/EPEL packager, I'd likely
disable an opt-out reporting module if I didn't remove it altogether
in the Fedora/EPEL packages.

--
Jeff Ollie